February 24, 2016

eh.... 1950's!

May I present my first finished item for the 2016 Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge? It is not an exciting project by any stretch of the imagination but I think it is something I will wear a lot. 

The pattern comes from a German magazine called Beyer's Junge Mode (the "young fashion" edition of Beyer's Mode) from 1956. For me, there is a clear advantage to sewing from a "young fashion" special. More choice of patterns in my size!
The sizing in German magazines was/is very similar to that in Dutch ones which means the information from the previous post also applies here. As far as Beyer is concerned, I have the smallest of women's sizes. So, that size gets a lot more attention in a magazine which targets an audience under the age of 25... 
This particular magazine includes patterns for bust sizes 84 to 96.

What did I make?

Well, I loved this simple top from the first time I opened the magazine. A simple jersey top with a V-neck at front and back. And in my size! 
I was a bit worried about the jersey though. I always get the impression that vintage jersey was completely different from the modern version. A lot less stretchy, for one. And probably less inclined to be bulky either...
After a bit of stash diving, I found the dark brown cotton pique which I had used to make trousers for climbing before. Fairly thin but strong and not very stretchy AND a super-wide and knitted in the round which made the fabric lay-out for a top only two parts which both had to be cut on the fold a lot less awkward. It is not the most interesting of materials but this was very much a test so that didn't really matter.

I didn't make any alterations to the pattern, I just cut about 4 to 5 cm hem allowance because it seemed quite short. When I started sewing it, I stitched the bust darts at an easy-to-remove long stitch length first because I was fairly sure they would be too high for me. At a first fitting, they looked just fine so I stitched them properly. 
If I understand the instructions correctly, you are supposed to face the neckline and then stitch down the facing. Which is what I did.


It is a rather loose-fitting top, clearly intended only to be worn tucked-in. I actually have the largest size the pattern was made for and I took the body seams in by 1 cm at each side (not the sleeves or the curve to the sleeves though). This only confirms my suspicion about period jersey...
I have plenty of high-waisted skirts and even some trousers so I think I can put a top like this to good use.

5 comments:

  1. It looks good, and I can definitely imagine you getting a lot of use out of it! It still looks a lot looser than the one the model is wearing, though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance the model looks like she is holding a phone! I'ts a very cute top. I guess they made them short in those days because everything got tucked in. I imagine vintage jersey to be more like a double knit, but could be completely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its so lovely. A real go-to number. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! A top that manages to be somehow ordinary yet special at the same time. I do like your skirt very much too, and the two together make a great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! Wish I could get my hands on that pattern! You are tempting me to give pattern drafting a go!

    ReplyDelete