Who still remembers that day, somewhere last week, when I announced my intention to make a strapless dress from a big second hand leather skirt?
It's done now!
Last weekend, I made a muslin for the strapless top and tweeked it to fit well. During the week, when I had time, I carefully cut the skirt. In the end, I couldn't keep that topstitched center front seam and I had to be very careful to keep as much length as possible on the skirt. I used the skirt's original lining to line the dress and a metal zipper from my stash to close it at center back (I tried to take a picture of the back, but there was so much shadow in it, you couldn't even see the zipper). As it is now, there is no boning in the top. It wrinkles a bit when I move around, but in my experience, poly boning wouldn't really help against that and once bent, it would stay bent, making the bulge permanent.
I don't know how much I will wear this dress, it's not what you call a 'you can wear it anywhere' item. However, I am quite pleased with it and with a top and tights underneath, I should be able to get it worn a bit more...