May 20, 2010

From crazy idea to dress, part 1

This is just a quick sketch of what the dress from the leather skirt should look like. Obviously, the hems will be horizontal. I only noticed just how wonky they were in the sketch when I was scanning it.


The skirt is not just long, but also wide, so the skirt-bit will have to be adjusted to fit at the waistline. I think I can get away with taking it in at the side seams and center back. I will have to make another center back seam anyway because there will be need for a different zipper. I will keep te topstitched center front seam and chop off the skirt at the topstitched horizontal seam. I think I will keep (most of) the original width at the new hemline, so it will be slightly A-line.
The top part will be a very simple strapless top. I know I will not be able to make a perfect match for that center front topstitching, so I'm just not going to bother with it. I will try to match the bodice seams to the pocket edges and back darts.
I'm planning to line the top with grey cotton and sew poly boning along the seams (but stopping the bust at the front seams) if necessary.
The skirt will be a bit mini, just not as much as the one in the picture. I like to be able to sit down without fear for indecent exposure, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love the sketch/grand master plan. Can't WAIT to see it completed! Sketching is just one step closer to wearing! :)

    ReplyDelete