June 29, 2015

Making plans again

At the moment, I'm looking at things and making plans. I have two simple t-shirt-like tops and a pair of shorts which haven't made it to the blog yet but those are not particularly exciting. 
Oh and fortunately, that blue top for my grandmother turned out well, it looks very good on her and she really likes it.

I was all set to make that striped 1950's dress because it would be great for the not very warm summer weather we've had so far but this week, the weather is turning. 
I was also enjoying lingerie making again and I don't think I'm quite done with that yet. Oh, and I could actually use a practical, sort of sporty swimsuit or bikini...  

But right now, I am looking at other things. Vintage patterns. I am considering trying a 1930's look once more. Third time lucky maybe?
I've already brought this up in the We Sew Retro Facebook group and the ladies there gave me some very good advice. The thing is: Those fashion drawings look great but after two failed attempts, I keep asking myself "How would that dress look with hips?".
To make up my mind, I've made a Pinterest board with all those designs from Gracieuse magazine which I like and have a pattern for in a size sort of near mine. 

I already see I should pick the year carefully. In 1930, dresses are still quite loose and the waistline sort of wanders somewhere a bit below the natural waist (still on the way up after a decade lower down). By mid-1931 a waistline is forming. Those dresses often have a bodice which blouses over the skirt at from the waist up. I think that could be an option. Later, you start to see more wide belts. And then, by 1934 those shoulders are really starting show...

I've never been a fan of the giant shoulder look which is why I think I may go for a design from 1932 or 1933. Those dresses often have volume at the top of the body but it's soft, for example in the form of capelets or flounce sleeves.

Gracieuse stopped including a pattern sheet in 1934 and the original owner of that part of my collection didn't renew her subscription. After that year, she seems to have relied on occasionally buying other magazines. So, I have some magazines from later in the decade which still include patterns too. Maybe I should add those to my list of options as well...

Of the things I like so far, many day dresses seem a bit too warm for this time of year. 

I also can't stop loving jumpsuits but I kind of want a dress...

And today, I just realized this: So far, I thought a day dress would give me the best chance of making something which I could wear normally (which is what I want) but I might be wrong. Like in many summers, the maxi-dress is once more a fashionable warm weather option this year. 


So, I wouldn't stand out that much in what is actually a 1930's summer evening gown design... These were even meant to be made in printed fabrics and I think I mostly have printed cottons with the right kind of hand.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the dress with draped tie-front at waist. (Far right, second-to-last photo.) It's amazing how contemporary it could look, all depending on fabric choice. i'm excited to see what you'll choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love 1930s fashion, especially the dresses and beach wear. Its such a glamorous era and I'm building up my sewing skills so I can attack some of the beautiful 30s patterns I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine this in anything but a printed rayon, but then again, I am very much in love with rayon print dresses (that tie front especially). If it has the drape, the content is (oh no, pun coming) immaterial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all quite glamorous and o so lovely. I particularly like the flutter sleeves although maybe that would look more modern on a shorter dress. Maxi dresses here in Australia are generally very plain with spaghetti straps, or maybe a long tank top style. I would love to see more of these more feminine styles like you have pictured here worn more frequently :)

    ReplyDelete