June 27, 2011

It's finished!

And here is the little jumpsuit!

First of all: I like the look (please ignore my less-than-happy facial expressions in the pictures. It's a very hot day, I'm using a self-timer and I had very little time to take these pictures). There may be more jumpsuits and shorts in my immediate future... (especially since the hot summer weather seems to have started today) The colour is also something I hadn't tried before and I really like.

There are some minor flaws: I would have liked to make wider front facings but I had to make do with a very limited amount of fabric, as a result this is the lowest I cut put the top button if I wanted to avoid showing the edges of the facing. I might have put it a little lower otherwise.
I'm also wondering whether I should have added a little more lengthwise ease. I can sit down without hurting myself, but only just. I think I will ask M about this, she's a jumpsuit-making expert.

As I mentioned before, this is a jumpsuit without waist seam. Those seam lines some of you commented on in the sketch are armhole princess seams which end in pockets. The back has simple darts.
I started out with longer legs but decided they looked best hemmed this short (making this the shortest thing I've worn in years, or at least my shortest pair of trousers of the past decade).
The first look, with the belt, is the one I was going for. As I put it on however, I realised the second look, un-belted and un-buttoned at the top worked as well. In fact, I think that would also look quite cool with full-length legs...

And, if I feel like using this thing for layering when the weather cools down again, I also like the look with a jacket.

9 comments:

  1. This is totally awesome! You're inspiring me to finally make a jumpsuit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a bit hesitant about the whole jumpsuit thing (what with being bottom heavy and having a long torso, I wouldn't be able to find any that fit off the rack, and I would need lots of adjustments to any pattern). Yours looks so chic - it can be completely casual but also work appropriate. I may reconsider my non-jumpsuit stance.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, the colour and style you great on you.

    (P.S. I always thought jumpsuit was for long-trouser style legs, and playsuit for "shorts" style all-in-ones. If i recall correctly the jumpsuits were named after the flight/jumpsuits of early 20th century military pilots who would have worn full-length legs on their workwear LOL :)...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally love this! The color and style really suit you. I'm totally into jumpsuits these days and pulled out a pattern just yesterday to make up a vintage one. This one is fabulous! So chic and sophisticated with a little edge! xoxo, Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I shy away from jumpsuits because of the whole having to undress to use the bathroom thing, but it is nice to just grab one piece, put it on, and be dressed. It looks really nice with the jacket, and that length looks good as well. You look great!
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Great color, cute length, glam styling, FANTASTIC SHOES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo, super chic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uber chic! I like it without the belt on its own and also worn with the belt and jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness it's fabulous! Congrats! I would be wearing this every other day in all kinds of different combinations. Cool!

    ReplyDelete