June 18, 2011

Sew so tiny

My boss's baby boy was born last week, so I thought be nice to make a gift. The amount of baby-boy-appropriate fabrics is my stash is rather limited, and I wanted it to be both nice and practical.

I made this (hopefully) baby-sized hooded sweater (I put my fabric scissors in the picture as a size reference).

The dimensions for the sweater itself came from the book 'Babydol' (the title is an untranslatable joke in Dutch, refering both to 'babydoll' the garment and 'fun for babies') by Pieke Stuvel (a Dutch writer and illustrator of DIY fashion books, one of which appeared in English translation)
The hood was my own addition. I drafted it using instructions from my normal pattern drafting textbook but I had to guess at the basic dimensions of a baby's head. At first, I thought it would be too big, now I worry a little if it isn't too small for the rest of the sweater.
Anyway, I hope little L will enjoy it.

7 comments:

  1. It's adorable and I like the color selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!
    I always forget how tiny little babies are until I see newborn sized clothes.
    Love the colours, and the baby will love the front opening and snuggy hood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very kind to make the little sweater. my favorite baby gift is crib sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the baby hoodie.

    In the future, if you run across a head size problem, you can use this site http://www.medcalc.com/growth/. It doesn't matter what head circumference you use, it gives you the same chart so I would use the largest size that comes up with a little ease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the giftie, and the menacing scissors pointed at head level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous gift that will win you kudos with your boss!

    ReplyDelete