June 13, 2011

Summer trousers

It seems like such a long time ago that I made something for myself which wasn't a knit top... I needed more summer weight trousers for work. I've never worn beige or sand colours before but I had picked up this fabric, a thin twill-weave cotton, on sale at 1 euro a meter a while ago. So, I decided to give it a go.
I've always liked flared and/or wide trousers and with a thine fabric, those are definately the way to go. I also wanted a high waistline so I could tuck in the wider tops I've made recently.

I made these using my trouser sloper (for the first time with a slight swayback adjustment, correcting a flaw which started to annoy me more and more in my existing high waisted trousers) but there is a rather similar looking pattern in Burdastyle magazine 10 2010 (avaible online as well). Mine are just perfectly proportioned for me, and have double welt pockets with flaps at the back.
I'm a bit worried the fabric may wrinkle easily, but these trousers are extremely comfortable so I should be able to wear them a lot.
I've noticed I keep planning all sorts of tops which I can make to wear with this colour and shape and I think I will need a big straw hat as well...

7 comments:

  1. They look like a lot of fun! (And they are proportioned perfectly for you). Hooray for getting those final pattern tweaks taken care of :). Here's hoping you get lots of lovely summer-trouser-wearing weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderfully elegant to me!I'm sure you'll wear them a lot.

    Would you, please, explain how you did the swayback adjustment on the trousers? Thanks a lot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I don't think I've seen such a good fit on pants on a blog! Congratulations - those are smokin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Petit Main,
    Your trousers look fantastic - and fit you to a T! I remember reading an article in Threads magazine on how to draft pants - is that the method you used? I enjoy reading your blog,
    Gaylene

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trousers seem perfect!
    As for your "new" color, I had a similar thing happen with shades of grey over the past year.

    ReplyDelete