December 31, 2014

That was 2014...

In fact, I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever written a round-up-of-the-year post... But today I thought: "Why not?"

Of course, there are things everyone's "year in sewing" will have in common. 

Hits:


  
In my case, I think my jumpsuit and racerback bra deserve special mention. 

And the simple, cozy dress which really seemed to strike a chord with other sewing bloggers.

And misses:

This gathered monstrosity was all my fault, which is why it is more interesting to include here than the mystery-sized 1930's dress.

And then, there were some experiments: This is the year I re-made my slopers...

And tried my most fitted trouser style yet, to celebrate.

I also experimented with the bias cut. I'm not quite done with that, I think...

I also discovered the brilliant Studio Faro/Well suited blog and experimented with a couple of the designs explained there.

And then, there was the Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge... 
Probably the biggest experiment of all for me. I was really slow to get started, only making my first item in August. However, I managed to complete my goal: Five items made from vintage patterns in 2014. I didn't quite manage the side goal to sew from each decade from the 1920's to the 1970's but I did explore some new-to-me eras in fashion. 
And the other side goal was to sew using all the different sources at my disposal. Again, I mostly used pattern magazines and didn't even try Lutterloh, but I did make my first Frohne garment and used the instructions from a ladies magazine.
I'm proud of these five:


1965 party dress (and no, I don't have enough parties to justify these, I just loved them),


and last but not least my 1950's outfit: 1957 skirt and belt (belt tutorial is here) and 1955 blouse.

Now, all I have left to do is to wish you all a very happy New Year!

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Lauriana! You've made such beautiful things, I love the idea of the vintage pattern pledge. Maybe I will join you in that this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the jumpsuit you made, and it suits you so well, and its got such a distinctive cut to it - you have made so many stunning outfits over the year! Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gelukkig nieuwjaar! Je hebt heel wat mooie kledingstukken gemaakt het afgelopen jaar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Beautiful clothes, have another great sewing year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed the Jumpsuit is a great place to start. It's amazing and they are often so difficult to cut. Congrats on a great year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great adventure sewing wise you have had in 2014. Best wishes for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see you do more bias garments, it's such an interesting technique (Vionnet is my hero), but I'm lazy and prefer learning from you...Wrong but honest.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete