November 3, 2010

My leather jacket is finished!


No inspiration for a witty title today. I just want to get straight to the good stuff: presenting my new-from-old leather jacket.

As I told before, I 'harvested' the leather last year from a much loved and very worn-out coat of boyfriend's. It had a lot of seams, leaving me with small pieces of leather and I used some of them as decoration for a costume back then.
Because I wanted long sleeves on my jacket (way more practical), I decided it couldn't be leather-only. I used black wool crepe from the stash for the side panels, the undercollar and the sleeves. The jacket has black lining and closes with a seperating zipper which I made shorter to use it here.

Because it's hard to show the detail of a black-on-black jacket in the pictures, I've enlisted Mary's help once more. It seems like she's having a better modeling day than me right now ;)
As you can see, I cut the leather to suit the shape of the pattern (not the most practical thing for 'pattern-tetris' purposes, but, at least in my opinion, the most flattering). The front partially overlaps (for pattern makers among you: the overlap is to the position of the front waist dart in the sloper) with the left side of the zipper inserted in the princess seam.

And something I'm really pleased about: it may just look even better when worn open.


19 comments:

  1. Wow - it looks really great! Well done on a fab job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it when I saw your sketch, but the materialized jacket is just breathtaking! I like everything about it - the oversized asymmetrical collar, the side zipper, the tetris pieces cut. Most of all, I like that it's cropped. I'd wear it in a heartbit!
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done an amazing job!
    I love the picture of the back of your jacket; it looks so edgy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is freakin awesome! I love it even more for the contrast fabric sleeves. And the cropped waist, that collar, and all the piecing is just FANTASTIC. You and Tany are both giving me serious leather jacket envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice jacket. I really love your blog. You do such a great job and you always look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absolutely beautiful and SO flattering open or closed! Amazing work. You're a head-turner, girlie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, LOVE LOVE LOVE. Gorgeous. I agree with you about the long sleeves... short sleeve jackets kind of boggle my mind. I especially love the seaming in the back (ok, and the awesome collar, obviously)

    I'd say you get the title of Pattern Tetris Grand Master.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is impressive! I've enjoyed watching this jacket come together. You are so creative and talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a leather person, but I really like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! I love the pieced look. It's so street wear worthy. I think the collar is especially phenomenal. Looks fabulous on you to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it looks fantastic! I love the shape and all the seam lines - very flattering! I especially love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This jacket is awesome -- the style of it is spot-on and I think that combining leather and wool make it even better than if it were entirely made of leather (softer and more interesting). Great work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks absolutely incredible! You did an amazing job, very beautifully sewn and a unique and fabulous jacket. I love the seaming on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful beautiful beautiful. The texture contrast with the black crepe is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is truly a one-of-a-kind masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your readers wouldn’t mind the title since you did show them your one-of-a-kind leather jacket! Actually, the garment looks branded and outrĂ©. The sewing looks flawless, and the design is definitely gorgeous. You will definitely give those designer jackets a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete