January 27, 2014

Intermezzo

Early this morning, I finished the striped sweater but I haven't found a photo-opportunity for it or the new jeans yet… I'll come back to that later.

I've been thinking about things I want to make for the remainder of this winter and about new things to do here, on my blog. However, I don't feel like discussing half-developed plans right now. 

Right now, I'd like to take you on a bit of a detour.
In the magazine that comes with my newspaper on Saturday (Volkskrant magazine nr. 676, 25 January 2014), there's always a little corner with a report on a street style trend, and this one stood out to me:

Longer, wider skirts. Apparently these ladies were visitors to fashion shows in Paris a couple of months ago, so they are not your common girls in the street. Still, I kind of like it when a personal fashion interest of mine intersects with a mainstream or high fashion trend. 
I love the boldly striped skirt and the colour combo in the second picture. Oh, and I want to go off and make a denim half circle skirt RIGHT NOW.

What is funny to me is that the text makes a reference to Dior's New Look. That is right when you only look at the lengthening skirts but not when you look at the complete silhouette. These ladies largely stick to the usual rather straight mainstream fashion silhouette. If I wear a long-ish wide skirt, I make and style it to show off hip-to-waist ratio, like women used to do.
Of course, it is nice to see different options.

Do you like big skirts? And what do you think of this modern styling of them?

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I like the look of wider skirts. It's a modern nod to the way women dressed. I especially like it when this look uses a bold pattern or color to make a huge statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the kind of skirts we wore when I was a student in the early - mid 80s...especially the look of the woman on the right. They were very much a part of the look then, probably inspired by or at least reflected by Princess Diana, and had a slightly fresh, wholesome vibe (well at least compared to punk)- as indeed the New Look did too. I'm short so these don't really suit me - I think a taller person carries them off much better - so I won't be joining in this time round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The minute a judge on Project Runway last season said, "Long is SO over," I felt a chill of excitement because I knew that just by saying that she had made long the new über cool. I adore the new look silhouette, but like you am intrigued by this new styling of long. I am just so happy that maybe I won't be the only one in my town wearing circle skirts any more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The minute a judge on Project Runway last season said, "Long is SO over," I felt a chill of excitement because I knew that just by saying that she had made long the new über cool. I adore the new look silhouette, but like you am intrigued by this new styling of long. I am just so happy that maybe I won't be the only one in my town wearing circle skirts any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't look New Look to me, it looks like the 80s. Once was enough, imo.

    ReplyDelete