September 15, 2012

Wearable (machine) knitting

Did I mention it was working?
OK, I promise I will return to normal sewing related posting soon, but I just have to show you this first:


I've knitted something I can actually wear!
It's very simple indeed. It had to be, because I didn't have that much of this yarn. I knitted two rectangles (measurement based on an existing garment and the test square) in a sort of fantasy stitch with the same stitches skipped in every row. This sort-of functions like a rib stitch, making for a very stretchy end result. Because the sides rolled up quite badly, I made a bottom edge which is a double layer of in tricot or straight stitch. I knitted this seperately and I could have distributed it a bit better when sewing it on. I hope it doesn't show too much...
First, I just sewed the outer few stitches of the top together to form the shoulders. This seemed like a good idea but just serverd to create a neckline so tight that I could only get my head through at the risk of skinning my forehead. (the skipped stitches in the pattern make it hard to finish the final row of stitching loosely enough) So, I took those stitches out (I may have snipped an important piece of thread while doing so, one belonging to the upper edge itself) and, with needle and yarn, made improvised shoulder straps.

Although it certainly isn't flawless, it definitely seems wearable to me, so I'm calling it a win.
I hope to be able to buy some more yarn this weekend so I can get started on a real sweater.

4 comments:

  1. This is so lovely. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got going with the knitting machine really quickly! Is it fast to actually knit up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? Mooi, Impressive, very flattering on you and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Ik heb ook een breimachine, maar ik krijg em niet goed werkend. Had je een handleiding? Ik wel, maar begrijp er niets van :) Het lijkt me echt gaaf om em te gebruiken!

    ReplyDelete