May 16, 2014

Vintage fashion love?

Here's a bit of a challenge:

This image is from an issue of Libelle magazine from the summer of 1960. 

Now, as you know, I enjoy collecting and reading vintage magazines. I like vintage fashion and vintage sewing patterns. Not just the dresses but separates, suits, trousers and playsuits too. And usually, when I get period photographs instead of the usual drawings, I consider that to be a treat. 
And then, I come across a picture like this...

Ehm... What can I say. According to the text, this is a combination of a top and trousers with tapered legs for which you could order the pattern. The photograph was shown on the back cover of the magazine which is why it is a full page and in colour.
I think it looks crazy. And not in a good way. That is way too much gingham for my taste, I'm not a fan of the shape of the outfit or the ruffle down the front and the combination of make-up and the way she is posing makes this lady look a bit... eh... insane.

However, this was a serious picture promoting the magazine's patterns back in the day. Which makes me wonder: Does your love for vintage style stretch this far?

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. She looks like a creepy version of Andy Pandy from children's TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like matching two piece gingham as a concept but obviously not as a reality, not on this occasion - if it was an open blouse without a ruffle it would probably be ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even my love for vintage does not go far enough for me to like things like this. Sure, my first impression may be, well it's vintage, so maybe it's okay, but after a bit it's like: no! no! Looks horrible! SO I agree with you!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about the model's unusual body proportions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol That is pretty ugly. I purchased a vintage pattern two days ago (it's an evening gown) and the illustration shows it as this big, brown lace thing. I had to look at the diagrams on the back of the envelope to imagine it looking nicer!

    ReplyDelete