May 19, 2010

Just another crazy idea

Over coffee today, I was looking through an old magazine (UK Vogue November 2009, to be precise. The 'more dash that cash' issue, which I bought because it seemed very promising, but found rather disappointing because of its less that practical approach of the topic and liberal notion of budget. And it didn't include as much of the normal snobbery I find amusing) when this picture caught my eye.

I'm sure I didn't see it for the first time. But I'm equally sure this is the first time it gave me an idea... It may have to do with the fact that a couple of friends have been spamming me all day with plans for a cocktail party... A party involving nice dresses and optional heels...
I mean, this is a nice dress, right? Cute and kind of cool at the same time. If you're model-shaped, of course. Which I'm not quite. I may be skinny, but I don't have those legs. However, it has to be possible to make a more wearable variation.
You see, I've had this giant grey leather skirt in my stash for a while now. It was destined to become two bags, but there are more skirts for that and the whole bag making-and-selling thing got kind of side-tracked a while ago. It is big enough for a dress, look.
On me, the zipper does close. However, that is an open back pleat and those are (in fact rather nice) pockets which would end up on my boobs... Not a good look. So, now I'm thinking: how about chopping it up at the waistband and at that horizontal seam, using the top of the skirt as skirt and making a strapless top bit from the bottom of the skirt (I did comtemplate sewing a fabric top on, like the dress in the picture, but I'm not so sure. It's cute but I could layer the strapless dress over tops, which would be more practical for cleaning purposes).
Oh, and by the way, this won't become little dress no.1, sewing bra-bits is fiddly enough on its own, without the added handicap of slippery, sticky, 'you can't pin this' leather.
So this dress may be up next. Or later.

4 comments:

  1. I like your gameplan. That could be some serious hotness when you're done. And despite what you might think, the "view from here" is that you are pin-thin AND have the gams to pull this off.

    Can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely wear it over a t shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have the legs to pull off a mini. Go for it. i like the idea of wearing it over a separate Tshirt, practical and funky at the same time. Hmmm. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Another possibility; go with the idea of chopping the bottom off and using the skirt section as a skirt, and making a separate strapless "corset" style top from the bottom section, and then keep them as separates. They would still look like a dress when you wear them together, but would be easier to construct. And a leather corset wouldn't need boning, would it? It would probably stay up quite well as a strapless top on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete