It's done! I've just finished uploading the twisty top pattern to Burdastyle.
Unfortunately, after the latest revision of the site, member patterns are only 'projects you can make' and no longer appear in the pattern list (now called 'pattern store'), but make no mistake: this is a pattern.
It's here (if you don't have a Burdastyle account and you want this pattern, you can of course email me. the adress is in the sidebar on the right)
I'm very glad I tried grading in Illustrator because it went a hell of a lot faster than by hand. I also think I managed to find a relatively easy yet accurate method for tiling by using Illustrator's print menu.
I made the top again in order to make (hopefully) understandable instructions. I actually really like the new version, in which I eliminated some small issues (of course, the pattern is like the second version...). It's in a busy print, not something I would normally go for. In fact, I had to buy this fabric. All the jerseys in my stash were either solid colours or woven design, nothing which would show a clear difference between right and wrong side when photographed. This stuff does and the busy print sort of functions as a texture in this top.
I really hope you will enjoy the pattern. Let me know if there's anything I should explain better (but I'll tell you already: that twist is difficult to show) and please: show me your results!