June 20, 2010

Still processing

Wow, so much great advice on what to do with stripes! I loved the suggestions of chevrons and advanced playing with the direction of the stripes. It made me think back of this.
It's a 1950's couture copy suit jacket which was in the exhibition 'Voici Paris' at the Gemeentemuseum earlier this year. A wool suit, daywear and fairly stern and simple, it was passed by by most of the visitors in favor of the spectacle of the many evening dresses. I, on the other hand, was, true to form, immediately obsessing over this amazing cutting, darting and matching detail.
Now, before anybody gives me the advice to make something like that, I'd love to, but not in the fabric I'm dealing with right now. I'd like to have a wool fabric when trying to pull off such an elaborate design. Way easier to manipulate. In fact, I don't think I would object to pinstripes in wool fabrics at all. Well, to some, but they can be so lovely and subtle in wool. My cotton fabric is almost glossy, which creates a big risk of looking tacky.
I'll be mulling over all the ideas and suggestions for a while longer but I will set this deadline: before mid August I have to make something of this fabric.

7 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

    but please, someday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staring lustfully at the designer jacket, I think it may be easier than it looks. The optimist in me perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that jacket is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seamstress who made that jacket was an absolute master at the craft of tailoring!!! What precision!! Superb. Thankyou for sharing that picture with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg that's so cool. The placement kinda reminds me of the Martin Grant dress KnipMode knocked off in their June 09 dresses issue... photo here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I saw this too and loved it! Such workman(woman)ship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. merci de nous montrer cette très belle veste et bravo pour toutes vos réalisations

    ReplyDelete