March 23, 2013

Velvet dress

Finally, I've made a dress using a piece of fabric which I think I bought back in the autumn of 2008. I've been obsessing about it on the blog before (way back in November 2010) and more recently, I thought I had come up with a great design for it (which, on closer inspection looks a lot like one of the options from more than two years ago...). I even drafted the pattern only to find out that with the limited yardage available (1.50 m of 1.80 m wide fabric) and the obvious nap (luscious velvet...) there was no way I could cut that design from that fabric. So, back to the drawing board I went and this is what I came up with:

You've heard of "business at the front, party at the back". I think this is related to that idea, but not quite the shame. It's more of a eh... sexy secretary at the front, pattern maker's game at the back" kind of deal.
At the front, it's just a fitted dress (based on my knit sloper) with long sleeves and a high turtle neck-like collar. At the back, the neckline dips deeper into a sort of back scoop neck and the collar opens at center back. The back bodice is a lot wider at the bottom and gathered tightly to join the fitted back skirt, creating a loose, bloused back. To keep the close fit at the front and prevent the blousing bit from hanging too low, I made a fitted back lining (in lycra). 

This is the difference between the two back pieces (I later decided to curve the sides of the outside back piece in as well, because that creates a better silhouette at the front). 

The dress is really comfortable to wear although I wonder if should make a lycra slip to stop it sticking to my tights. And I'm happy I've finally used this fabric. There is still a bit left over which might be enough for a top...


  1. I really like this. Classic, but with an interesting twist. Great use for your fabric.

  2. The dress is beautiful. Love the back treatment.