March 1, 2014

Practical needs

Sewing is great. It opens up a whole range of possibilities you may not have had in RTW. Add pattern making and the sky is the limit…
This makes it quite tempting to focus on the weird and the wonderful (your weird and wonderful may vary… I know there are many seamstresses out there who'll go for a much more outrageous look than I do)

However, if you also tend to make just about everything you wear, practical requirements tend to get in the way. I try not to make things I won't wear at all. And to keep a decent amount of wardrobe staples.
And then, there are the occasional demands of circumstance. Recently, I've had to address one of those: work wear.
As I've explained before, most of my work (it's sort of freelance and I also occasionally teach, sew samples for designer friend M and work on other projects) is altering dresses to fit for a bridal store. This involves fitting customers for lingerie and petticoats, getting them into their chosen dresses and discussing their alteration needs and wants. 
So, it involves a lot of maneuvering with large pieces of multi-layered polyester and nylon (that's what today's affordable wedding dresses are made of). So I think it's best to dress myself in cotton, to avoid literally shocking the customers. And I'm not even kidding. I wore my green cowl neck sweater, which is made from a wool/polyester blend, to work once and the static cling drove me crazy. 

So, I need more long sleeved cotton tops. Preferably not (all) in black. 


This is the first one. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and it's in service already. I thought I would wait with posting it until I had another one but… eh… there are so many more interesting things to sew.


It is a simple, sort of semi-fitted, top with raglan sleeves and a V-neck. I had originally planned a band on the bottom and cuffs but decided it looked better without. 
It has a slight trumpet sleeve. Just enough to be noticeable at some angles, not enough to be annoying.
And the design allowed me to use up an oddly shaped scrap of that turquoise jersey which had been lying around for a long time.
It's comfortable, it doesn't look bad and it fulfills the role it was made for. So: it's a win! I just can't get very excited about it.

8 comments:

  1. There must be a raglan trend going on in the fashion and sewing blog worlds, because it seems like everyone is sewing them. And now I'm going to do so too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say that yours is great. I love that color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the brown and turquoise combo. It reminds me of the contrast between land and water. I find water, water, as far as the eye can see, a bit disconcerting. But, put a bit of land for contrast, and my mind goes on a journey. When you put that top on, you may not get very excited, but you are taking everyone who sees you on a visual journey....

    I made a raglan top recently, too.
    http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2014/02/chainmail-sweatshirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors make a simple top stand out. I sew all of my clothes and have learned that the most profitable use of my time is to sew clothing that I will actually wear and wear often, but it's often not exciting sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Functional and fashionable . Nice.

    I totally agree to the first para. We seamstresses with self pattern making abilities must indeed feel blessed as we aren't limited by sizes and designs on offer in RTW !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the opposite problem of most sewers. Because I work in the fashion industry, I get dressed up everyday. That means that my sewing projects are a little more dressed up than what is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing more satisfying to me than to make something that is useful, practical, and good looking. This top is all three things at once, so maybe you should get more excited about it. I think it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete